Béatrice Bernard-Poulin | Béatrice
In the wintertime, I often joke that I go into hibernation.
And that’s pretty much what I do.
In the summer I’m pretty busy most of the time and can rarely be found at home, but come winter, I take the time to relax, wrapped up in a cozy blanket.
And the best part? It’s free!
Here are a few ideas for enjoying a relaxing winter day.
Ideas for a day of cocooning Imagine this:
It’s Sunday morning, you wake up (without the alarm!) and it’s snowing outside.
You immediately decide to cancel all your plans for the day and treat yourself to a relaxing cocooning session.
Start by donning your slippers and bathrobe—there’s certainly no need to get dressed right away!
Turn on the radio or play your favourite album.
Then make yourself a cup of coffee or tea. Why not try your hand at latte art? Watch a YouTube video for inspiration and have some fun! And who cares if it doesn’t turn out!
Now that you’re warmed up, it’s time to figure out your plan for the day.
Here are a few ideas, whether you’re on your own, with your better half or with your family.
Ideas for cocooning on your own:
There’s nothing more therapeutic than enjoying a whole day to yourself to relax and unwind, especially if it means keeping cozy indoors, without spending a cent!
- Read a book or magazine Watch a television series or a movie (with popcorn of course!)
- Tidy up the house (some people take pleasure in this!)
- Knit something (or learn how!)
- Draw or paint (it could be an abstract!) Do some scrapbooking
- Do a crossword puzzle
- Give yourself a manicure/pedicure
- Give yourself a facial
- Take a long bath
Ideas for cocooning with your better half:
Sometimes the day-to-day routine can get you down, so why not take a day to relax together and recharge your batteries.
- Do some cooking (to prepare meals for the week ahead or to enjoy a decadent brunch right now)
- Do a puzzle
- Lounge in bed, chit-chatting
- Have a board game tournament
- Go through your photos and print some up!
Ideas for cocooning as a family:
Cocooning can be a family activity! Turning off your devices and playing with the kids will do you a world of good!
- Introduce your kids to a classic movie from your youth
- Build a fort out of the sofa cushions
- Play with your pets (if you have any)
- Pretend it’s summer and have a picnic in the living room
- Serve breakfast in bed… for the kids!
- Cook together as a family
- Make homemade playdough or kinetic sand
- Enjoy a DIY project and recycle at the same time!
- Stay in your pyjamas the whole day (an activity in itself!)
- Organize a treasure hunt
You could also go outside and embrace winter: build a snowman, go snowshoeing or have a snowball fight… and when you get back indoors, it’ll feel all the cozier!
The important thing is to just relax. Take a breather and do nothing (something we rarely do!)… just keep yourself warm and snuggly. In winter, this is good for the spirit!
After a day of cocooning, you’ll feel completely revitalized and ready to start the week with energy and grace.