A pillow fort is more than just a soft and cushy cocoon, it’s the perfect family activity for a rainy or freezing cold day, offering guaranteed fun for both the young and young at heart. With a lot of room for creativity, building a cozy hideaway provides a great distraction from the usual household hubbub, offering a peaceful haven for snuggling up to your kids for story time, or for a quiet nap, a board game, a movie or a night of camping in the living room.
Who knows what your kids will dream up to make the most of this comfy lair!
A family-made pillow fort can be any shape or size. However, using certain basic materials can minimize the risk of the fort caving in while you’re enjoying your retreat inside. Here are some tips for a winning structure!
- Chairs – Kitchen chairs can be instrumental, providing height and sturdiness to the fort.
- Pillows – The fort’s key component; perfect for plugging gaps in the walls, a bit like the concrete in a brick facade.
- Sofa or other furniture – Often constructed in the living room, a pillow fort has everything to gain from having the sofa or another piece of furniture as a solid base for its structure.
- Cushions – Couch cushions are typically firm and large, making them ideal for creating internal walls and a plush decor, and great for camouflaging the chairs.
- A mattress (inflatable?) – Can maximize comfort or add to the camping effect.
- Pillows – The more the cushier!
- Comforter or thick blanket – For adding a second layer to the pillowy floor and for snuggling up to your heart’s content.
- Sheets – Light and flexible, a fitted sheet can be just the thing for creating a roof.
- Blankets – The thickness of a blanket adds to the fort’s safe, cocoon feel.
- Weights – A dictionary or other safe object for holding the corners of the roof cover in place. Clothes pins can also come in handy!
- Peaked roof – If there’s an existing hook or solid beam on the ceiling in the room, why not attach a string to the roof of the fort and create a big top effect!
The final touch: creating ambiance!
What sort of vibe do you want to create with your family? White lights filtered through a white sheet to create a subdued effect and a wonderfully relaxing atmosphere? A pitch-black cave perfect for movie-watching? A colourful den lined with Christmas lights and bright cushions?
The family activity options are endless, and your clan can enjoy hours of fun before, during and after building your fort!