With the hectic schedule of back-to-school activities and the running around this entails, I was eager to pass on a tried and tested recipe to make your life easier: effervescent cleaning tablets for the toilet! That’s right, toilet bombs!
This simple and easy‑to‑prepare recipe requires only a few ingredients, and does a fantastic job. These effervescent tablets clean your toilets, eliminate odours and help keep the toilet fresh between cleanings. What’s more, it’s eco-friendly, non-toxic and safe for septic systems. Yay!
How to make your own effervescent cleaning tablets for the toilet
Make sure you have all the necessary equipment and ingredients before starting your DIY effervescent tablets:
Ingredients and equipment
- 1 cup (250 ml) baking soda
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) citric acid*
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 tbsp. (15 ml) water
- 90 drops of essential oil. Use whatever you have available. You can use just one or mix several together. I like to use lavender, tea tree (melaleuca) and peppermint in equal parts for their antibacterial and deodorizing properties.
- Spray bottle
- Silicone moulds
*Citric acid can be found in health food stores, certain bulk product stores and big box stores, close to the items needed for growing seedlings or making preserves.
1. In a bowl, combine the baking soda, citric acid and cornstarch.
2. Pour the water into the spray bottle, then add the essential oils. Shake to mix thoroughly.
3. Slowly moisten the dry ingredients by spraying them with the water and essential oil blend, stirring all the while. Using a spray helps reduce the effervescent reaction during preparation. More fizz for the toilet!
4. Spray and stir until the mixture is crumbly and holds together when pressed in your palm.
5. Fill the moulds, pressing the mixture firmly inside. Using silicone moulds will make extracting the mixture easier.
6. Let dry for approximately 3 hours, or until the tablets are hard and easy to remove from the mould.
7. Store in an airtight container.
How to use effervescent cleaning tablets?
The tablets can be used as a simple toilet freshener between bathroom cleanings or as a cleaner.
Drop one tablet into the toilet bowl and let it fizz for 15 minutes. You can also leave the tablet in the bowl all day while you’re at work. There’s no danger, apart from coming home to a spotless toilet! Maybe a quick toilet brush at the end (or not!) to finalize cleaning. It’s entirely up to you!
Simple, quick, efficient, affordable and eco-friendly. My kind of cleaner!
These tablets can also be used as a dishwasher or washing machine cleaner. Multipurpose—makes us love them even more. Happy cleaning!
If you enjoyed reading about how to make effervescent tablets for toilets, Cascades Fluff & Tuff® invites you to read Make your own baby wipes and how to make your homemade laundry soap. Happy reading!
Thanks for explaining how tablets can help to eliminate odors in a bathroom. There is an awful smell in my bathroom, and I can’t seem to get rid of it. The problem has been going on for a few weeks now, so I’ll consider getting toilet drops.