Homemade laundry soap is one of the most commonly searched recipes online by fans of zero-waste household products. For those who, like you, are concerned about their ecological footprint, this is an excellent solution.
To do your part for the environment, it’s sometimes simpler to take it one step at a time. You can choose eco-friendly toilet paper, such as Cascades Fluff® Enviro, made from 100%-recycled fibres. Otherwise, the soft and gentle Cascades Fluff® Ultra is perfectly suitable for sensitive skin. Based on its environmental certifications, it’s perfect for helping you reduce your environmental impact without sacrificing comfort!
In addition to having a positive impact on the environment, making your own homemade laundry soap will let you save a ton of money. Follow these instructions carefully to create a soap that is gentle on your skin, but also on your wallet.
Make your own homemade laundry soap in 7 steps
Equipment and ingredients to start:
- 100g of a bar of unscented natural soap (authentic Marseille soap, black soap, Castile soap, etc.)
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda – also known as sodium bicarbonate
- 2 litres of water
- 10 drops of an essential oil of your choice (e.g., lavender, lemon) to add scent to your detergent
- 1 large bowl or salad bowl to mix the preparation
- 1 clean 3-litre container – to hold the detergent
Homemade laundry soap recipe – step by step:
- Using a cheese grater, finely grate the bar of soap. The finer the flakes are, the better they will dissolve in the water.
- Bring 1 litre of water to a boil, then pour into the bowl.
- Sprinkle the soap flakes into the hot water, then mix until they dissolve.
- Add the baking soda and essential oil, then mix until a uniform mixture is obtained.
- Let the mixture stand for 24 hrs. It should turn into a gel and take on the consistency of a hard paste, like a block of soap.
- Add 1 litre of boiling water and mix to obtain a uniform liquid.
- Using a funnel, pour the mixture into the container, then let cool again. Your laundry soap is finally ready.
Don’t forget that you can change the scent according to your desires simply by changing the essential oil. Get your children involved! This will be an opportunity to teach them about the importance of simple actions to protect nature.
Why make your own homemade laundry soap?
Unlike most traditional laundry detergents, eco-friendly laundry soap contains more natural ingredients. You shouldn’t forget to reduce your plastic use either by choosing reusable packaging for your soap. By opting for this solution, you help reduce your impact on the environment.
In addition, homemade laundry soap has real benefits for people with sensitive skin. Sometimes, soap residue on clothes can cause skin reactions in more sensitive people. By making your own soap, you can choose gentle ingredients that suit your skin type.
How to use your new homemade laundry soap
You’re all done! All you have to do now is test your homemade laundry soap during your next wash.
To use your new liquid detergent properly, here are our tips:
- Shake the laundry soap container before each use
- Use about 20-30 mL for each wash (one capful)
- Keep the container sealed, at room temperature, and in the shade
- Add a handful of baking soda in case of very dirty clothes
At Cascades, we put innovative solutions into action to reduce our impact at all levels of production. Your laundry soap is just the first step toward a home that is more eco-friendly and gentler for the planet.
Do you want to discover other homemade / DIY ideas? Cascades Fluff & Tuff® also offers you its craft for building your birds feeder. Happy reading! ?