Ismérie Anglade | L’Atelier du coin de la rue
Concrete is super-easy to make and these candleholders will go perfectly with your Christmas decor. Candles add warmth and create a festive ambiance in any room.
Bring them out every holiday season and create a new family tradition of having dinner by candlelight.
You will need :
- A few toilet paper and/or paper towel tubes
- Concrete mix, which you can find in small packs at hardware stores, and water
- A piece of cardboard
- Painters’ tape
- Plastic bottle caps
- 1” copper tube caps. These are sold individually in hardware stores.
- X-ACTO knife
- Paint (you can choose the colour) and paintbrush
1. Clean your work surface with Cascades Tuff® and a cleaning product.
2. Cut the toilet paper or paper towel tubes to the desired lengths.
3. Trace the outline of your tubes on the cardboard and cut out the circles. You will need one circle for each candleholder.
4. Tape the cardboard circles to the tubes. Fill in the spaces and wrap the tubes with tape to reinforce them.
5. Prepare your concrete mix as per the instructions on the package.
6. Fill the tubes and pack firmly.
7. Push the bottle caps and tube caps into the concrete. Secure everything with tape so the caps don’t come out during the drying stage. Let dry for 24 hours.
8. When everything is dry, cut away the tubes with your X-ACTO knife.
9. Sand the edges of the candleholders.
10. Paint your candleholders, using tape to delineate the sections to be painted.
Tip: To make your candleholders even more festive, get some snowflake stencils from an art supply store and paint some gold snowflakes on the candleholders.